Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Annual Grumbling about "Juneteenth 'National Independence Day' "

As I've said before: great holiday...in principle. And I'd happily fly my flag and celebrate it...if it were known as something more accurate like 'Emancipation Day.'
   However, coming two weeks before the Fourth of July, and, apparently, very carefully misnamed/misdescribed as "National Independence Day"...no dice.
   And why add 'national', one wonders? In the relevant sense, Juneteenth is Texas-specific. Again, it seems like a part of an effort to trump July 4th. (Oh, mere Independence Day? As opposed to National Independence Day?)
   This seems to fit the left's M.O. too well. It's too reminiscent of the so-called 1619 Project's efforts to replace 1776 with 1619 as the birth-year of the nation.
   This is too close to the kind of interpretive meaning-digging argument beloved of the left...so I'm wary of it... But it is how they think... And in this case, I gotta say, I think this is fairly likely to be what's afoot.
   Or maybe these people have just made me paranoid...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home