Sunday, November 18, 2018

Trump's Criticism Of The Media "Threaten[s] The Constitution"?

Uh...I don't see this at all.
The news media is pretty much of a disaster. How is it that criticizing a disastrous press is a threat to the Constitution? I'm not even sure that criticizing a good press would threaten the Constitution. Obviously Trump's criticisms are often stupid and false...really stupid and false... And having a president that says stupid, false things might be a threat to the Constitution. But I don't really see that saying stupid, false things about the press in particular...especially when it is itself stupid and prone to printing falsehoods and misrepresentations...is a particular threat to the Constitution.
   Don't get me wrong...I wish we had a more sensible president. I really, really do. It's not entirely irrelevant to note, however, that I also wish we had a more sensible news media. We have 792 days of Trump left. Then he's gone. The media, however, isn't going anywhere. And isn't likely to get notably better any time soon. It's not going to lose its hard left lean in the next year, nor the next five years, nor in a decade, nor for the rest of my life nor yours. If Trump can manage to basically keep things between the ditches--to not, say, start any actual shooting wars for the next 792 days--then there's a good chance that he'll leave office having done (in addition to a fair amount of good) far less harm to the U.S. than a persistently biased media.
   Anyway. I just don't see this criticism.
   But I do have to say that 792 days still sounds like an awfully long time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crenshaw seems to be a good egg. His response to the lowball SNL joke about him was one of the better things I've seen in recent American politics.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home