Sunday, November 18, 2018

Overlord! Or: Nazi Zombie Army: The Movie

So my bud TL and I went to see it today--walked in and we were the only ones there at first. Sweet! Of course we sit in the primo row: the first one back of the walkway across the theater. Then two other people come in...and sit right in the same row, like two seats away. WTF? Then another dude walks in...and sits two seats down on the other side. So now there are only four small groups of people in the theater...three of them in the same row. What, pray tell, is up with that? It was such dumbassery I almost said something to them. In retaliation, I talked a lot during the movie, which I never, ever, ever do...
   Anyway: solid flick, would watch again.
   BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: 0.00% Hell's Bells content.
   Also, do prepare yourself: it's a solid flick...but, unsurprisingly, it doesn't live up to the stellar trailer...especially given that it's 100% AC/DC-free.
   [Some spoilage below.]
   I rarely notice acting, but I really thought Jovan Adepo brought something notable to Boyce. I'm not smart about movies, so I can't say more than that. But, though the writing extremely unremarkable, Adepo managed to make the character unusually likable. The Nazis are extra Nazi-y--rapey, spitty, nasty...zombie. So it's especially fun to see them get their due. It really did feel a bit like Nazi Zombie Army: The Movie--which is fine with me, because I like those games. There's a 30 Days Of Night gambit at one point. The one major disappointment to me was that the zombies are almost entirely science-y...which I don't understand. One of the reasons the Nazis are such over-the-top almost cartoonish villains is that...on top of the industrialized mass murder, the human experimentation, the genocidal mania, the master race cultishness, the trying to take over the world...the...well...y'know...basically everything about them...they were also, almost unbelievably, into the occult. I mean seriously. It's like they were downright trying to be the craziest bunch of murderous lunatics of all time. Exploiting that is part of what makes stuff like Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Atrocity Archive (...and Nazi Zombie Army) awesome. I would have played that shit up to the hilt if I were making a Nazi zombie movie. Also I gotta deduct points for the human Nazi bomb which was just a bit too gruesome for the good guys, and didn't make any sense.
   Overlord didn't blow me away, and it probably won't blow you away, but it was a solid, fun flick. I mean...Nazis...zombies...idealized, anachronistic, racially integrated 'Muricans kicking ass, hot French-Resistance-type girl...little bit of sweet M1, Thompson, and MG-34 action...what's not to like?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home