Tuesday, October 06, 2026

In Memoriam: Tom Hill

link (scroll down)

I tried to post something when Tom died, but I just gave up.
He really was an exceptional person.
I could go on and on about him. I only took one course from him, and, since I migrated out of ethics after my first year, he wasn't on either of my committees. But we were actually reasonably close--in the way that many students were tight with many profs at Carolina at the time. The atmosphere, back in the day (ca. mid-'80s - mid-'90s) was just great. I had many good discussions with Tom, and mostly remember just hanging out and talking about philosophy in the coffee room. Tom and Robin were also tight with other professors who I was tight with--and who were on my committees. They all lived out around Chatham county, where Mike Resnik got me into road biking the summer before I shoved off for a job.
   Well, anyway.
   Someday, maybe, I'll try to write something.
   Tom really was just a helluva guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home