Joe Nocera: Last Night, College Athletes Lost [when the "Protecting College Sports" act was passed]
I don't know what to think about all this.
I can say: I think college athletes probably deserve to make what they're worth.
And also: I don't like college sports anymore.
I guess the illusion of amateurism was necessary for my enjoyment of them.
I've never cared much about football, actually, but I've absolutely loved college hoops (I went to Carolina for grad school, after all).
I also think that football is too expensive--and I kinda think it's too violent. Hell, I like the UFC...and football's often a bit much for me. So I'm a wimp in that respect. A lot of those hits just seem over the top to me...
But anyway.
Universities aren't what they're supposed to be anymore. They're more like some kind of crazy businesses that I barely understand anymore--despite having spent my life in them.
OTOH, you can argue: by turning them into what they now are, more people are more educated than they would otherwise be...
Though if we go down that road, we sort of need to talk about grade inflation, the general crapification of universities, ideological capture by the left...etc.
Hell, I don't know what to think.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home