Friday, March 13, 2020

Fake News Gets Weirder And Creepier; Trump's Actually Doing OK

I read only what I think I have to from the pay fake news sites (NYT, WaPo, etc.), so I rely more on the free fake news sites, e.g. CNN. Jeez they are about to lose their minds trying to use the Wuhan virus crisis against Trump:

And: to help Biden, now that he's the "presumptive nominee."
   I hope it goes without saying that the MSM simply can't be trusted anymore. I used to look to them to give me some sort of orientation--in addition to the basic facts. Which was likely a mistake then, but it would be nuts to do it now.

   They lost their shit over his recent address on the virus...I thought it was fine. Not great, but perfectly fine. He seemed tired. He's also, of course, not the man for the job. Which I'm sure makes everything harder. I wish we had a better man as president. But that's neither really here nor there at this moment. He's fine. He's doing fine--better than fine in many cases. And his address was fine. But the media is now trying to shriek loudly and frantically enough to spin it into something awful.
   Who, incidentally, is the villain in the following story: a suboptimal leader does a sub-optimal, but perfectly passable, job...a chorus of crazy ideologues screams about everything he does and convinces people he's terrible and he's going to kill them all.
I know my view of the matter.
   As usual: I don't know what a president ought to be doing in the face of such a problem. I don't know what anyone else would be doing. I just don't know enough to make anything like fine-grained judgments. But nothing I know entails that anything Trump has done is terrible.
   When we actually look at actual things he's actually done, and actual assessments of those things by people who should know, he seems to be doing average or better. The travel bans seem to have been good ideas, and I'm sure he triggered them faster than Dem presidents would have. Of course the same chorus that denounces everything he does denounced both those moves, too. Everything he does is wrong, wrong, wrong, bad, bad, bad.
    And, of course, most people understand this stuff even less than I do. That includes--by a mile--most journalists. Add ideology to ignorance and you get...well...the NYT et al.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home