Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Do People With Extreme Political Views Have Trouble Thinking About Their Own Thinking?

Sure seems like they do.
I've wondered whether the political extremes can basically be explained mostly by dogmatism. That's to say: the tendency to be dogmatic comes first, and is largely responsible for the rest. I mean, roughly: maybe it's not so much the content of left-wing and right-wing extremism that generates dogmatism, but the dogmatism (plus random variation or whatever) that generates the extreme views (of whatever variety). Having written that out, though, it's not clear that it makes a lot of sense. Oh well. But, anyway, without the tendency to be dogmatic, I don't see how extremist views can survive. Both the religious right and the PC left believe so many crazy things that I'm not sure how anyone can be at home in either of them without dogmatic inclinations. OTOH: when I think of dogmatism, I think of doggedly and willfully holding on to one's beliefs. But there's also just refraining from criticizing them...is that different or the same? Not sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home