Monday, August 01, 2016

And Incidentally: A Lot Of That Stuff Isn't In The Constitution

I meant to include this in the other thing, but I didn't and I'm too busy to make some big deal out of it anyway, but: I watched Mr. Khan doing the anti-Trump rounds the other day, and he kinda seemed to be suggesting that there were things in the Constitution that just aren't there. He did, in his original comments, refer to the equal protection clause--but I wasn't clear whether he was saying that that was grounds for a legal challenge to Trump's proposed suspension of Muslim immigration...and I don't even know whether that would do the trick, legally speaking.
Anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Mystic said...

I'm surprised no one has pointed out that it would seem to be an infringement of the First Amendment.. I don't know how banning Muslim immigration could be conceived as anything other than a law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise...

But that "respecting" thing has always seemed to me strange, and I'm not sure if that'd be an overbroad interpretation of it or what.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, you'd think that the First Amendment would apply to immigration policy...but it's funny that I don't recall hearing anyone mention it...

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home