Thursday, July 28, 2016

Trump: Russia Hacking Comments Were Sarcastic

Er um...obvs
   That doesn't function as a defense against Aa's suggestion that I'm reaching for the worst interpretation of liberals' words in response to Trump's shenanigans.
   I'd respond: interpreting an obviously sarcastic comment as serious is a pretty clear case of what I'm talking about.
   Imagined Dem counter-response: yeah, but we're saying that no candidate for president should even joke about something like that.
   My response: that sounds a lot like the GOP objection to Kerry's "what we need is regime change at home" comment--and I'm willing to take that as a clear case of permissible humor.
   Imagined Dem counter-response: no, it's more like Reagan's "we start bombing in five minutes" comment.
   My response: eh, seems like a stretch to me...
   Imagined Dem response: Joking about colluding with a maniacal autocratic regime with respect to a type of attack they actually conduct against us routinely...that's what you're saying is a stretch?
   My response: Well, it sounds bad when you say it like that...
   Imagined Dem response: you damn straight it sounds bad.
   My response: it's still unfair to accuse him of requesting more hacking. He didn't do that.
   Imagined Dem response: you are so right about that and we are sorry

--fin--

5 Comments:

Blogger Aa said...

You're right, I don't see him actually requesting more hacking. However... (I just felt like putting the last bit in for no reason whatsoever).

11:13 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

I like that technique and might steal it.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous John Plato said...

There's an old phrase repopularized by Al Franken in the mid-2000s -- "kidding on the square."

It's when you're joking, but you mean it, too. Trump was pretty clearly kidding on the square when he theatrically begged Russia to deliver those deleted e-mails. He's joking, sure, but he means it.

He'd be nothing but delighted if those e-mails showed up, and I think he actually hoped to send a message to Russia to nudge their state hackers into releasing them, if they have them. The beauty of kidding on the square is that you can always pretend you meant nothing by it if the heat gets too hot. Which Trump is now doing.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Damn, JP, that seems very right to me--I'd forgotten about that phrase "kidding on the square." I listened to Franken's book, and that was one of the best points.

(Other best point: he runs into Barbara Bush on a plane just after Dubya's win in 2000 and he says "Mrs. Bush you must be very proud of George." and she says, somewhat haughtily, "I'm proud of all my children" and Franken says "Even Neil???")

Kidding on the square, man...that's the ticket. That's what that guy is up to alright.

2:47 PM  
Blogger The Mystic said...

Concur.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home