Thursday, November 08, 2012

Where's the Republican DLC?


Whee doggie, my left-liberal friends used to give me an earful for being a DLC sympathizer...

Anyway, TNR argues that the GOP is unlikely to develop its own version of the DLC.

(via Drum)


Blogger Dark Avenger said...

The DLC is like the Holy Roman Empire: It isn't Democratic, it provides little or no leadership, and it isn't a council.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Meh, I disagree. I think it helped drag the Dems to the center and helped undermine the influence of Dem factions that were making our candidates hard to elect. Since I was/am a huge supporter of welfare reform, and I still see this as the DLC's leading achievement, I'm still a sympathizer. But that's partially because I don't blame them for Dem support of the Iraq war...though I'm not sure why.

I am inclined to think that welfare reform was a turning point in Democratic sanity and electability

Then there's the EITC, yay. Though I disagreed with them about the assault weapons ban, which I think was another blow to electability...and pretty much useless.

Also wasn't Americorp a DLC program?

Though I've never been too wild about NAFTA, truth be told...

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home