Monday, September 09, 2024

H. R. McMaster: America's Weakness is a Provocation

I have a pretty high opinion of McMaster. I don't actually know that much about him beyond his role in the Battle of 73 Easting. (In fact, I remember early, fretful reports prior to that battle.) Anyway, I should have gotten off my ass before now and read some of his books. (I'm about to remedy that.)
   So...McMaster is similar to Barr in the following respects: I have high opinions of them both (though I have read Barr's memoir), and both left the Trump administration on bad terms. Both were on the receiving end of Trumpian extended tantrums This is evidence of Trump's shittiness. In fact, as I've said, I was basically waiting for Barr to make up his mind about whether he was going to vote for Trump. I figured: if Barr, who knows Trump-as-President from close up...if he decides that the New Woke Dems are a bigger threat than Trump, I'll take that as strong reason to believe that my inclination to vote against the Dems / for Trump is right. I probably would not vote for these Dems--but I'm willing not to vote for Trump. 
   Anyway, you know how the Barr thing came out.
   Also anyway: this McMaster piece is, IMO, very good. Very clear. Very dispassionate.
   Unlike Barr, McMaster doesn't reveal how he's planning to vote. And I do need to read the piece again, more carefully. But it certainly seemed to me, on a first read, that, in his estimation, Trump is the lesser evil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home