Wednesday, May 10, 2023

The Harm Caused by Masks

And grim.
   I think mask mandates were stupid, and largely motivated by the weird idiosyncrasies of the left, which include excessive risk-aversion and a desire to control the actions and beliefs of others. As with many things about the pandemic, I understand panicking and pushing such stuff in the early stages. But soon enough it became fairly clear that much of what was being made mandatory could not be justified. Or, at least, was not being justified to the public. 
   OTOH, there seems to be some tension between (a) masks don't retain the virus and (b) they do retain CO2. That's not an irresolvable tension, but it's worth resolving. 
   I found wearing a mask burdensome, and basically quit doing it. I took it off more than I kept it on while teaching, and basically made it clear that the things were optional in my classes. I found fake masks on Amazon, made basically of gauze, and often wore those when I couldn't get away without one. Which is a wimpy way out, but you can't fight every battle.
   Much of my aversion had to do with the campus hysteria. When the hysterical majority is shrieking that you must comply with measures that seem clearly irrational, it pushes you in the other direction, perhaps excessively Well, me, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home