Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Alan Dershowitz on the Weird Trump-Carroll Verdict

link

I didn't know about all the seemingly weird things about the trial, like the anonymity granted the jurors (which doesn't seem unreasonable to me--but I don't remember such a thing happening even in cases in which that would have seemed to have been more important. Also what do I know?). Also I'd forgotten about the suspension of the statute of limitations--which seems like a particularly strange thing in this kind of case. 
   What makes no sense though is that the ruling seems to be that Trump didn't rape Carroll, but he defamed her by denying that he raped her. 
   Not a lawyer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's overturned. 
   This could be a convenient way to get Trump out of our hair...not an inconsequential advantage... But OTOH it may strengthen the effectiveness of the Kavanaughing tactic, which may well be deployed again against whichever male Republican runs in '24 and after. I abhor such practical arguments anyway. What matters, needless to say, is truth and justice. If he's guilty, he should have been in jail 25 years ago. Though there's nothing even approaching sufficient evidence for that. 
   Everything is supid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home