Monday, August 08, 2022

Predator: Prey; or: The Predator is No Match for the Power of Woke

I like that kind of thing--e.g. the girlpower theme...when done well (paradigmatically: Buffy). I'd say that the vastly underrated Alien vs. Predator did it pretty damn well. But the girlpower-underdog setup in Prey is so over the top that it just gets stupid. A few you're-just-a-girl comments do the trick. I mean, they're objectively off-pissing. But Prey lays it on so thick that it quickly becomes stupid irritating, and turns itself into a preachy woke pain in the ass in less than fifteen minutes.
   Of course the Rotten Tomatoes critics loved the woke: 93%. For comparison, the vastly superior original only garnered 80% from them. The vastly underrated (IMO) AvP gets 22%...
   I wanted to like this movie. I did like the super-cute protagonist. And her dog. And the overall idea--in fact I thought that was great. But the writing and execution is so bad that I was barely paying attention by the end. I could go on about all its flaws--believe me. But I'll just shut up about it now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home