Monday, January 06, 2020

Pears, The False Prison

I'm re-reading David Pears's The False Prison in preparation for teaching Wittgenstein this semester. I know a fair bit about Wittgenstein, but have never had much of a feel for anything outside the rule-following considerations and the private language argument...both of which I've spent way too much time and effort on. I've really never had anything past a kind of middling degree of understand of / feel for the Tractatus. So I don't speak with any significant authority here...but I think The False Prison is great. By which I mean: really damn interesting. I'm not sure whether it's right or not. I know I've read it before...the marginalia are here to prove it...but I have a less-clear memory of it than one would wish for. Well, I have a somewhat better memory of vol. 2, on the later stuff, about which I do have some better-than-decent understanding.
   IMO Pears's introduction to Wittgenstein is also really good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home