Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Democrats Don't Want Your Guns, They Just Want Common-Sense Gun-Confiscation

This sort of talk makes me more understanding of NRA hard-liners.
   I'm willing to consider additional restrictions--e.g. background checks--on "assault rifles" and high-capacity magazines. I'm skeptical, but I don't dismiss the idea out of hand--in a cool hour, anyway. I'm even willing to listen to arguments about "red flag" laws, dangerous as they are. But the fact that prominent Dems are willing to leap to crazy ideas like confiscation so quickly isn't a good sign. The relevant concern is that they'll never be satisfied with anything less than confiscation / a ban. 
   It seems to me that this disagreement largely turns on facts about how common mass shootings are. If there were a high-casualty mass-shooting with an MSR every day in every town, the shape of the debate would be different. Well...I suppose we'd actually just all go around armed in that case. Well, maybe not "just"...we may well seek a ban, too. I'd think it'd be an open-and-shut case at the ballot box. 
   I used to be more receptive to restrictions on MSRs and high-capacity mags. But what I've seen in the left over the past five-or-so years has alarmed the hell out of me. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home