Sunday, June 30, 2019

Uri Friedman: "The Normalization of Meeting Kim Jong Un"

That's basically what I said.
This kind sorta reminds me of the Reagan-Gorbachev walk along Lake Geneva. (Am I thinking of the right place?) At the time, I was a snotty little brat who thought I knew everything, including that Reagan was a complete idiot who was unworthy of the office of president. (Though, to my credit, at least I wasn't one of those USSR-apologists.) It was inconceivable to me that such a stupid person could actually achieve anything great. It simply wasn't something that could really, fully enter my mind. Even after the fall of the Soviet Union, I continued to deny that Reagan had really had any role to play in it. Until Gorbachev himself said that he did.
Anyway. God knows. Maybe Trump will do something great here--or, as Friedman considers, lay the groundwork for significant improvement in the future. 
I mean...I'll believe it when I see it. But unlike contemporary progressives--and my youthful self--I will believe it if I do see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home