Friday, May 17, 2019

Alabama Abortion Law / Roe

Whelp, remember how I said that I didn't think Roe was in danger? Shows what I know.
As is well know by now, the AL law has no rape exception. (Why do people speak as if incest exceptions are separate from rape exceptions? Doesn't a rape exception entail an incest exception? Presumably incest exceptions are basically child abuse exceptions, but don't cover, say, adult first cousins or adult siblings...true or false?)
Wired (via Althouse) says that the "heartbeat" bills seem predicated on ignorance about fetal heartbeats. Althouse points out that heartbeats haven't generally been seen as major developmental milestones in this context--unlike viability.)
I'm led to believe that this is a losing battle for the right, politically speaking.
But conventional wisdom, of course, is that Roe is a shaky decision, and overturning it isn't out of the question.
I still mostly stick to / hide behind my generic libertarianism in this disagreement.
Though I do think often about what a wiser and smarter person once said to me: if we're wrong about abortion, then we've made a truly horrific error.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home