Saturday, March 03, 2018

Refuting Falsehoods Does Not Make People Believe Them More

For forty years or so, psychologists have reveled in telling us how irrational we are. I used to believe all that stuff, but stopped doing so quite awhile ago. Some of the alleged phenomena seem pretty plausible and well-established...but a lot of the more recent ones...eh...I just don't believe 'em. My view is that there are basically only two reasonable reactions to hearing about such alleged results: (a) LOL no and (b) wake me when there's a metastudy. 
   I never quite believed the stuff about cognitive boomerang effects, but I'll admit, it didn't send me to SKEPTICON ONE the way a lot of stuff does. 
   But anyway: it's likely false. And that's not exactly surprising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home