Thursday, June 30, 2016

Brexit, Elitist Rage, and Democracy

   Again, I neither deserve nor have a position on all this.
   But, watching from afar and only semi-paying attention...this doesn't seem obviously wrong to me.
   Leave may have been the wrong decision. It may have clearly been the wrong decision. It may have been obviously and disastrously wrong for all I know... But viewing it all rather casually, it didn't look that way. I'd have thought it would be easier to make the case if it were so undeniably catastrophic.
   To repeat: maybe I just needed to actually pay attention.
   But the post-referendum explosion of anger against Leave voters...there's some weird stuff in there.
   DJ assures me that it really is a disaster... I suppose I really ought to try to understand it all better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous John Plato said...

I don't get it, either. Just from a free speech perspective alone, the EU is awful. They require member nations to criminalize so-called hate speech (i.e. "Islam sucks!") with a punishment of up to one-year in prison. More than 2500 people in London alone have been arrested over the past five years for sending tweets (and other social media) that merely "cause annoyance / inconvenience / anxiety", and other such nebulous effects. Voters can't even elect politicians to get rid of these laws because they're a requirement of EU membership.

I'd vote out, too, faced with that.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

I wondered about that. I had at first assumed that those laws were specific to the UK. But then I doubted it...but never got around to looking it up.

Jesus, if those were EU laws and not UK laws, that alone would be enough to make me vote Leave...

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home