Sunday, May 08, 2016

Harvard Will Punish Students Who Join Frats

   Why? "Privilege" is bad, m'kay?
   I've never understood wanting to join a frat. In college, it seemed to me like approximately the douchebaggiest thing you could do. I was the first person in my family to attend college, and I knew virtually nothing about it. I still remember the night freshman year a bunch of the guys on my floor drunkenly tried to explain why the frat they wanted to join was so awesome. I was so torn between being appalled and being amused. ("We're like totally brothers!" was one of the selling points...  Soon after this point was made, one of their "brothers" came staggering in, having been left at a party out in the boonies by the dudes I was talking to. Intently trying to get with a couple of girls by giving them rides home, they'd forgotten their "brother," and he'd had a five-mile walk back...)
   But I now see that there's an even douchebaggier thing you can do: punish people who join frats. And on political grounds, no less. While pretending it's about "safety."
   I also think single-sex organizations are kind of annoying... But whatever.
   But what's worse than any of these things is a meddling, totalitarian administration/bureaucracy that seeks to micromanage people's lives.
   Imagine such people being in charge of the government.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aa said...

"But what's worse than any of these things is a meddling, totalitarian administration/bureaucracy that seeks to micromanage people's lives.
Imagine such people being in charge of the government."

In a very real sense these people are already in government. Laws dictating that gay marriage is illegal, laws to make sodomy a criminal offense, laws to...

Both sides can lay blame to this but in a real sense this happens all the time in the government realm. "Give me freedom" they scream, until someone is doing something they don't like and scream "Communist, totalitarian..." (yeah, I know there's a lefty bent here but I am have a lefty bent)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, but that stuff has all been swept away--anti-sodomy laws, anti-SSM laws... Seemed like we're headed for more freedom...but then we start to realize that the illiberal left just wants to make people unfree in slightly different ways than the illiberal right did...

3:46 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Not that their track record in *this* country can rival that of the illiberal right, of course...

Though the worst of the campus left certainly has the totalitarian spirit...and the record of the extreme left in Eurasia speaks for itself...

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home