Monday, July 30, 2012

Dean Smith, Great Human Being

Well, basically everybody who knows anything about Carolina basketball knows that Dean Smith is a great person. Here's yet another story to that effect, from a story about David Hart, a student manager on the JV and varsity teams, and roommate of MJ:

“The night we won the national championship, the NCAA awarded watches to the winners. They had 22 watches they awarded in the ceremony after the game but when you counted players, coaches, one trainer and four managers, there were 23 of us and as the youngest manager I was the odd man out. I truthfully did not think a thing about that, because I was a kid who grew up in North Carolina and loved Carolina basketball. I would've paid for the privilege to do what I was doing,” Hart said.
“On the bus back to Chapel Hill from the airport the next day, Coach Guthridge told me that Coach Smith wanted to meet with me in his office, so could I come by at a certain time. I figured he was doing that for everybody to kind of wrap up the season, so I went not expecting anything. I walked in and he said, ‘You were as much a part of the team as anyone else,' and he handed me the box with his watch.
“It was his first national championship and here was a 5-9 kid who didn't score a point or contribute to the team winning other than being the best manager I could be, and yet he cared enough about me to get the same thing that Michael Jordan and James Worthy got. What a wonderful man. It just blew me away, and all it did was reinforce everything I've ever seen in the man and quite frankly, everything I ever saw in the next three years being around him.”


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a cool story for a Monday. Hope things are going well.

abject funk

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home