Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Boycott Pseudo-Buffy

So the last word I'd heard was that Hollywood's dumbest recent idea (think about the competition for that title...), "rebooting" Buffy without any of the actual Buffy stuff in it, was (rightfully) dead.

(Also: 'reboot' is a stupid term in this concept. Unless 'boot' is used in the old-school sense, meaning 'barf.' You reboot an idea when you have no ideas of your own...)

Turns out not.

Apparently no idea is too damn stupid for Hollywood.

Of course I realize that this is not a matter of world-historical importance. However, I do want to make it clear that:


I will not see this movie at the theater. I will not rent the DVD. I will not even watch it when the wretched thing hits free t.v..

I WILL NEVER WATCH THIS WHEDONLESS, XANDERLESS, WILLOWLESS PSEUDO-BUFFY ABOMINATION.


I will try to convince everyone I know to do likewise.


I will, in fact, make an effort to avoid Warner Brothers stuff as a consequence of this

Morons. Amazing that people who make movies have no respect whatsoever for the integrity of the stories. They'd make a movie in which Holden Caulfield was a drunken fratrat, or one in which Don Quixote was a two-fisted action hero if they could make the stray buck on it.

So here's my plea to you:  BOYCOTT PSEUDO-BUFFY.

4 Comments:

Blogger Random Michelle K said...

OK, I agree with you mostly, EXCEPT that the original Buffy movie, which I quite enjoyed actually, didn't have Xander or Willow or Giles.

It did have Donald Sutherland, Paul Reubens, Rutger Hauer (even Luke Perry was kinda cute) and lots of other stars who I'd TOTALLY forgotten were in the movie.

So really, Buffy was ALREADY booted once, from the movie to the TV show. WTF Warner Bros is doing is beyond my ken.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

You make a good point, MK...

Though at least Joss was a part of the first movie... Also, I'd say that the series is canonical. Making the movie before the series existed was one thing...but trying to make a movie after the series--a movie that ignores the series and is creator... Ugh. Just awful.

If I even thought that there was any motivation for the movie other than greed, I'd be more receptive. If, say, Joss had some vision of an alternate Buffyverse or whatever. But just "hey, we OWN this shit...we can make some money here no matter how disrespectful it is to the story!"...*shudder*.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Random Michelle K said...

Well, Joss Whedon wrote the Buffy movie, and although it's very different from the TV show, it's interesting in different ways.

If a reboot would, in fact, be a reboot such as the difference between the movie & the TV show AND involved Joss Whedon, then yeah, it would be interesting. I mean, Buffy is quite a bitch at the start of the movie, and incredibly self-absorbed. Her change from an unlikable character to a likable one is fascinating.

Kinda, now I think about it, like Cordelia's arc over the course of the TV series.

But what WB wants to do--bullshit.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Random Michelle K said...

And yes, Buffy posts do seem guaranteed to bring me back out of the woodwork.

;)

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home