Thursday, April 16, 2009

George Will: Hey You Kids Get Off My Lawn
Blue Jeans Edition

You really can't make this stuff up.

Short version (in uptight rich person accent): dungarees are for the help.

Er, speaking as someone who actually did grow up on a farm, has worn blue jeans my whole life, doesn't give a rat's ass about fashion, and has no interest whatsoever in the fact that "Fred Astaire would not have worn it," let me say that Will is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas these days. It's never occurred to me that non-farmers who were wearing jeans were trying to look like farmers or other kinds of folks who actually work for a living. This is what we call "reading too much into something." Also: "running out of ideas."

It does sometimes strike me as weird that everybody walks around in jeans; it looks almost like some kind of uniform. But, hey, they're comfortable and durable, ergo popular. It's the free market, baby. I thought you folks were all into that?

One thing he does mention that strikes me as vaguely interesting--though, really, clothes are simply not an interesting topic, despite what the teevee seems to think: what's with trying to make new clothes look old? I mean, there does seem to be something potentially f*cked-up there. Walk into one of those cool stores--the ones with the really loud music designed to drive off folks like you and me--and you'll find ridiculously over-priced clothes intentionally and artlessly made to look really, really shabby. Man, talk about catering to your basic spoiled rich kids. I mean, are there really people who have enough money to buy ridiculously expensive clothes that are already half worn-out? I mean, aside from the fact that you'd have to be brain-damaged to do so, it's nauseating on other grounds. The worn-out clothes you've already got won't do? Really? Maybe the pre-worn-out clothes are more comfortable. That at least would be a good reason for buying them. But it's pretty clearly a fashion thing. That's some dumb-ass sh!t right there, man.

Oh and: hey you kids, get off my etc. etc...

3 Comments:

Blogger Spencer said...

I guess Will ran out of stuff to just make up about global warming.

10:55 AM  
Blogger The Mystic said...

Maybe global warming is why people buy clothes with holes in them.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Satan Mayo said...

Actually the vast majority of jeans available for casual wear are pre-worn out right now. I know lots of people who hate this fact and look hard for ones that aren't, but it's tough to avoid the nonsensical trends of "fashion", especially for women.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home