Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Big Fat Liars
Sarah Palin Edition
And I'm Afraid I'd Better Add: Volume 1

Wow. I'm almost stunned by this speech. Given what's been going on for the last 7.5 years we can't exactly call this a whole new level of mendacity and vituperation...but it is an unusually high concentration of it, even by contemporary Republican standards. I mean, what we've got here is a genuinely startling number of outright lies (I was against the bridge to nowhere, Obama will raise your taxes, and on and on and on) woven in with raw expressions of naked contempt for Barack Obama.

Man, they are going all-out on this one. Looks like they've sketched out a character and a role for her--something like: spunky attack-dog mom.

If this weren't all so pathetic and cynical it'd be downright hilarious.

But she didn't barf on herself, so they'll try to spin this into a win.

(Oh, and how'd you like that reference to McCain's "torturous interrogation"? Rudy actually said the 'T' word, though.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember Karen Hughes, Bush's communications director? I think it was Ron Suskind who described an incident where she looked him straight in the eye and directly contradicted something they both knew she'd said earlier, just openly lied to his face without breaking a sweat. And she was always trying to cast herself as a homespun little league mom from Texas.

Anyway, Palin reminds me of her. Karen Hughes disguised as Karen Walker. She's the worst of the bad old days, served up as something new.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Ugh. I almost wish you hadn't said that, db.

I can't freakin' *stand* Karen Hughes...even more than I can't freakin' *stand* most of these folks. Now I'm going to see that, too, when I look at her.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about Suskind and Hughes, but Tucker Carlson talked about his encounter with Hughes when he interviewed the then-Gov. Bush for Talk magazine:

Then I heard that [on the campaign bus, Bush communications director] Karen Hughes accused me of lying. And so I called Karen and asked her why she was saying this, and she had this almost Orwellian rap that she laid on me about how things she'd heard -- that I watched her hear -- she in fact had never heard, and she'd never heard Bush use profanity ever. It was insane.

I've obviously been lied to a lot by campaign operatives, but the striking thing about the way she lied was she knew I knew she was lying, and she did it anyway. There is no word in English that captures that. It almost crosses over from bravado into mental illness.

They get carried away, consultants do, in the heat of the campaign, they're really invested in this. A lot of times they really like the candidate. That's all conventional. But on some level, you think, there's a hint of recognition that there is reality -- even if they don't recognize reality exists -- there is an objective truth. With Karen you didn't get that sense at all. A lot of people like her. A lot of people I know like her. I'm not one of them.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was Tucker Carlson? Thanks for the link, that's the exact story I was thinking of. It sounds just like Palin repeating her bridge shtick over and over regardless of the fact that even the readers of US Weekly, for god's sake, know she's lying.

She's a sociopath. Hughes, Bush, Rove... they all are. Their moral circuitry is all fucked up.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home