Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Religious Tests

Um, I carry a copy of the Constitution in my book bag...which is almost always at hand...but it isn't right now. But, unless I'm hallucinating, article VI section 3 specifically prohibits religious tests for senators, representatives, and (I think) pretty much everybody else in the "federal" (more properly: national) government.

Bush is skating pretty damn close to violating this provision of the constitution.

He has said in the past that he would not nominate anyone who did not believe that our rights are granted to us by God.

In case anybody is interested, and as I've pointed out before, that theory of morality is incoherent, and no self-respecting philosopher believes it anymore. It's the philosophical equivalent of an astronomer believing that the sun goes around the Earth.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, Bush may be--in violation of the Constitution--insisting that his court appointees believe an incoherent moral theory.

Jesus Christ. I f*cking give up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

Professional philosophers, the tenured and cautious members of the modern academy, don't believe it. But I do not know what they do believe. I have asked and asked hereabouts, but I do believe I'll never get an answer.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home