Friday, July 26, 2024

Freddie DeBoer: Candidates Should be Chosen Democratically; Neither Biden nor Harris was

I wasn't paying enough attention to this important point.
   But the You have always loved Kamala campaign really got my attention.
First the Dems decreed that Joe was the Beloved Leader, a great man who all Democrats adore and support. Then, like flipping a switch, it was Harris. And they're selling her like an iPhone.
   I'm getting more and more fed up with Trump...which, a priori, I might have thought impossible. The stupid comments about the Ten Commandments in school, and about flag-burning in particular revolt me. Admittedly, I don't know much about Vance, but I don't much like what I've seen. (Again, I haven't yet read his book. Gonna go pull that off the shelf as soon as I'm done with this screed.) I continue to think that Trump really blew that one, choosing a Mini Me Trump instead of someone who would take the Trumpy edge off and appeal to centrists--Youngkin, Vivek, Tulsi, maybe Rubio...
   But the Dems now just seem to always one-up him, revulsion-wise.
   The brainless Hey, kids, Kamala is cool! stuff...holy crap...
   If this strategy wins it for them, it'll be a reductio ad absurdum of American democracy.
   And all this without any real primaries, without any significant chance for the Dem rank and file to have their say.
    The Democratic party elites--the source of much of our current predicament--are basically just selecting candidates.
   I rather hope there's a train-wreck convention in which this is challenged, even though that could produce a stronger candidate. For one thing, I'd like to see them have to switch to a third candidate and insist that Democrats have always love him/her/zxxir, too... 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home