Saturday, January 27, 2024

Texas Rallies the Red States Amid Immigration Crisis

Good on Abbott, on Texas...and on federalism.
   About ten years or so ago, when I was still a centrist Democrat, I started writing that the Dems' position on illegal immigration was becoming harder and harder to distinguish from an open borders position. I got a lot of flack for that, but I was right. And I don't see how that can be denied now, ten years on.
   I've also long suggested that yearly legal immigration should be reduced by a number of people equal to the number of illegal aliens coming into the country the previous year. To be clear, I don't think this is a good idea. But it's a way to put pressure on the Dems to stop the madness. (Note that this suggestion would reduce legal immigration to (below) zero...)
   This is yet another issue such that, say, twenty years ago, no one could have predicted how radical the American left would become. It's now fairly common for progressives to not only oppose building more fencing, but to advocate tearing down the fencing we do have--and to argue that border barriers of any kind are inherently immoral. The Biden administration basically invited the whole world to illegally cross the border. A Democratic Presidential candidate in 2020 threatened to cross the border himself and lead a group of illegals back into the country. How did the blues so completely lose their minds about this?
   It's astonishing how many crazy positions the left now openly adopts. And astonishing to me that they aren't some fringe faction, but now basically set the agenda for the Democratic party. In 2016, I repeatedly insisted that this simply would not happen. 
Shows what the hell I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home