Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Court Documents Reveal 'Extreme' Pressure on Prosecution in Floyd / Chauvin Case

link
I don't have a single, settled view about the Floyd / Chauvin case. But (a) I'm inclined to think there was clear, reasonable doubt, and (b) I am strongly inclined to think that Chauvin did not receive a fair trial (and the same, I'd guess goes for the other defendants). The fact that Chauvin wasn't granted a change of venue, alone, seems to be sufficient reason to believe (b). (Though, as always, I am not a lawyer, and don't actually know what the conventions and laws are like...so I should probably soften that stance.) 
   The fact that the medical examiner's conclusion--that there was no evidence of asphyxiation--was ignored also seems like it, alone, could be decisive. Instead, the trail emphasized the results of a private autopsy paid for by the family.
   It's hard to resist the conclusion that Chauvin was railroaded because almost everyone involve seems to have been afraid that there would be an explosion of violence if he were found guilty. 
   What would happen if Chauvin received a fair trial, I do not know.
   But, again: this is the kind of question that someone like me really isn't in a position to answer. But, from a layperson's perspective, I just can't see how the trial could be considered fair, nor how one could conclude that there isn't reasonable doubt. If I had to bet significant money on this--and I'd rather not--it sounds to me like it was mainly an overdose + Floyd's preexisting heart problem. (And don't forget the COVID...) OTOH, perhaps those things wouldn't have led to his death if not for Chauvin's actions. OTOOH, according to this piece, no one has ever (at least previously) died as a result of being in the restraining technique employed by Chauvin. And, don't forget: that was the technique endorsed by the Minneapolis PD, and that Chauvin had been trained to employ. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home