Friday, May 06, 2022

Abortion Hysteria

I certainly understand this issue being important to people. And the hysteria on the left is no surprise. And certainly this isn't something I can blame on progressives (as opposed to whatever liberals might remain). 
Two observations, probably obvious to everyone:
   1. This one took me awhile to see: many on the left seem to think the leaked Dobbs decision would mean that abortion would become illegal everywhere in the country. They don't seem to understand that the question would be kicked back down (or up!) to the states.
   2. There's a whole lot of stuff out there, even coming from Democrat senators and the like, that shows no respect whatsoever for the legal question. That's to say: stuff that's unequivocally against the conclusion of the decision with no regard for the strength of the legal arguments. That's downright creepy IMO.
   Of course I haven't read Roe since undergrad Con Law, and didn't understand much then. And I haven't read the new decision either. But I know Roe is widely considered to be a weak decision, and my overriding attitude is: This needs to be decided on the strength of the arguments. And I'm not going to be surprised in any way if the Dobbs decision is right. 
   I've cheated intellectually with respect to Roe for a long time. I'm aware that it's probably bad law, but I'd like for there to be a right to privacy. And I incline toward keeping abortions mainly legal. Consequently--and dishonestly--I didn't get all worked up about the thing like I would have done if I'd disagreed with the conclusion. (Another decision about which I'm a big, fat cheater: Katzenbach v. McClung.)  
   Also, as I've said, I fear that this will save the Dems' bacon in November. 
   So that's bad.

[Addendum: I've even seen stuff that--again, without regard for the law or legal arguments--declared SCOTUS to have delegitimized itself with Dobbs (supposing it goes through with the decision.) It's all hysteria and emotion over there on the blue side of things. Which, more and more, seems par for the course to me. 
OTOH, there's this horrifying thing from Louisiana...

Sidebar: as others have noted: at least the left seems to have suddenly remembered what the word 'woman' means...]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home