Sunday, July 18, 2021

Shelby Steele, White Guilt

Just started this yesterday. Of course I've read stuff by and about Steele--but this is the first book of his I've read. 
Thus far I've been most impressed by two things:
(a) His poignant-but-in-no-way-maudlin accounts of what it was like to live during segregation
(b) His strikingly insightful account of "white guilt."
I put that phrase in quotes because the ideas he's onto are rich and interesting enough that this is almost a theoretical term--though it tracks so close to the plain phenomena that it's also just like a really clear and good analysis of the concept. He's certainly not just complaining about the plain facts of what's gone wrong on the left; he's (thus far, anyway) offering real insights into the nature and functioning of (what he calls) white guilt.
   Anyway, thus far I've been notably impressed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home