Thursday, February 04, 2021

More Mask Hysteria: "THE SCIENCE IS CRYSTAL CLEAR"!!!!111

Narrator: The science actually wasn't crystal clear...

Incidentally, I'm weakly pro-mask. But what's crystal clear is that the evidence is not crystal clear. We simply don't have scientific proof--where that does not mean certainty--that masks are sufficiently effective to warrant the kinds of mandates and obsession that we see on the left. At least if such proof exists it hasn't trickled down to hoi polloi like me yet. And the evidence that has trickled down is decidedly mixed. Intuitively they ought to have some effect--and I certainly don't want to be the guy who transmits the Wuhan virus to Jack, who then transmits it to granny...  But I'm also among those who think that progressive superstitions and zeal for imposing them on the rest of us have become dangers of their own. I prefer to push back on other fronts...but I'll admit that I might well wear masks more if not for the politically-motivated hysteria about them. I don't wear them outside, I put them on at the last minute before I go into a public building and take them off as soon as I emerge therefrom, and if go someplace where people tend not to wear them (our Home Depot is one such place, off and on), I usually don't wear one either. We do go out to eat and get beers with people, and, of course, we don't wear them then. I do generally make an effort to keep some distance from people, keep my hands away from my face, and whatnot. However I basically can't have a mask on without fiddling with it a lot. If I knew they were effective, I could summon the willpower to do that less...but I find them pretty annoying, and, given the merely weak evidence of effectiveness, I just doesn't make a lot of sense to be obsessive about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home