Thursday, August 29, 2019

Turley: Between Trump And The Openly Anti-Trump Media, We Can't Be Sure What To Believe

Trump has little regard for the truth. Significant swaths of the media don't either, anymore, when it comes to Trump--and, I'd say, any culture-war issue. Did Trump suggest nuking hurricanes?:
I truly do not know the truth of this matter and that disturbs me a great deal. Like many Americans, it is not clear who or what source can be trusted. With some media now openly anti-Trump, it is difficult to trust the reporting. Yet, the President himself shows a continuing lack of concern over the accuracy or truth of statements. That leaves the public with little ability to discern fact from fiction — a dangerous position for any democratic system.
Agreed. This is, I think, basically the situation I predicted before the last general election: Trump is disaster in many ways. The insanity of the contemporary left contributed to his election, and now he's made them even crazier than they were before. And now we'll have to choose between four more years of Trumpian lunacy or at least four years of increasingly loony leftward lunacy. I see no good, realistic path forward, honestly. Trump's policies are center-rightish; that may be the deciding factor. Bernie is dangerous economically, but at least he's sane--and he's expressed obvious irritation with the identity politics wing of the party in the past. I don't see Dems losing the House, especially if they win the presidency. Perhaps the least-bad option is a president Bernie hobbled by a Republican Senate.
   But my concerns about the Dems aren't limited to their frontman. I continue to be very pro-Obama...but even he swept hard-left bureaucrats like Catherine Lehman into office, where they were able to advance their cultish agenda (see e.g. Title IX madness).
   Actually, at this point, it's all too crazy for me to rank the likely options. If someone could stop Trump from tweeting, that might make him a live option. But the fact that no one can is another cause for concern. Sometimes I think his tweets are good because they are frequent reminders / updates on his nuttiness and unfitness for office. They keep us informed about his thoughts, such as they are. OTOH, they constitute a coarsening and crazifying influence on the nation. At any rate, tactically they almost can't be good. But no one can stop him from issuing them. That in itself is worrisome, to my mind. No one has enough influence over him to keep him from shooting himself in the ass multiple times per day.
   But the transformation of the news media often worries me more. In fact, what worries me more than that is that it may not be a transformation, but a revelation: they're the same as they've always been, they've just been flushed out.
   I'm going to stop even thinking about this stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home