Thursday, May 09, 2019

"A Conservative Christian Group Is Pushing Bible Classes In Public Schools Nationwide--And It's Working"

link
Me five years ago:
THIS IS A VIOLATION OF THE ESTABLISHMENT CLAUSE IT WILL NOT STAND!!!!!!!
Me today:
[Shrugs] The left now routinely uses public schools to indoctrinate kids with their superstitious, anti-scientific, made-up tales about "gender" and whatnot... I guess it's only fair that the right gets its chance.
   I mean...I think we should keep all such BS out of public schools. But if one side gets to proselytize for its myths, why not the other side, too? You might say that Christianity is uncontroversially a religion, whereas progressive's tangle of superstitions isn't widely recognized as such...but I am unmoved. Thinly-concealed religiosity is still religiosity. The illiberal left's pushing a view with a metaphysical aspect (usually: social constructionism) and a moral aspect. It's even got analogs of original sin (racism, "whiteness"). Like Christianity, it leans heavily on a kind of moral ad baculum: disbelief is not merely an error, it's evil... They're both wild about confessing one's sins...and on and on.
   Hell, at least kids might learn something important from the Bible. Many people have. And it might be better to have two superstitions battling it out than to have just one ruling uncontested. Obviously liberalism and rationalism aren't having much luck opposing the cult of progressivism; maybe it's time to unleash Christianity on 'em. We seem to know how to keep Christianity under control. I might rather take my chances with them than to continue to allow antirational leftism to rampage across the land...

2 Comments:

Anonymous cb said...

see, this is why i still read this blog. it used to be fun to watch you clown on TVD in the comments, but now the fun is marveling as you slowly adopt every one of his views.

can't wait for you to go full-on creationist... i give it 2-3 years, tops

10:33 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

LOL yeah, I've notice that. I was too hard on TVD...he was right about more than I credited him for... So was Kim du Toit, maybe.

Also: since TVD's departure, the left has gone fucking insane.

Still wrong about the divine command theory, though, which was our biggest bone of contention.

Be funny if I DID go creationist, actually.

(As I think I've always admitted, I think the creationists are less wrong and the Neo-Darwinists less right than casual observers think. Some of the anti-creationist arguments are bad metaphysics pretending to be science. And I absolutely agree with the creationists that final causation is an open question. Thing is, as usual, God doesn't really help.)

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home