Saturday, January 26, 2019

We Love Legal Immigrants

Everybody knows this. It doesn't even need to be said...but it is said...over and over in innumerable ways. We are a nation of immigrants...give us your tired, your poor...etc... Trump's said it, too, in case you have any weird doubts about that...
   I've got weird views on this subject. In general, I resist begging progressive forgiveness: I'm not a racist...I think men and women are equal...I'm in favor of legal immigration...I have nothing against illegal immigrants personally...
   The left has to learn to take criticism like adults. You don't get to just write off the other side, and you don't get to presuppose that everyone who disagrees with your political views is evil. I don't owe you a profession of faith. Get bent and grow up. Discuss things like rational people for God's sake. Progressives have managed to set the conditions of all debates such that anyone who opposes them is presumed prejudiced, and has to beg to be seen as a decent person. And, of course, it doesn't work because the progressive left can never be mollified. Saying you're not a racist means that you're a racist. Of course, saying that you are a racist means you're a racist...because that's what it does mean... And saying nothing means you're a racist. Basically, if you're not a progressive, you're a racist. So why debase yourself by begging them to treat you like a human being? They're not going to do it, dude. That's not who they are.
   So, as a matter of principle, I don't do that stuff. Or do it only as I please.
   And it's obvious that a lot of other people are on the same page with me about that.
   And the more unfairly you're treated in this respect, the better reason you have to not play the game. And Trump's been treated very unfairly in this respect...
   Buuuut….well...he's the president, and maybe he ought to bend the principles more. He's made it very clear that he has nothing against legal immigrants, and that he has fairly ordinary, American pro-legal-immigrant views. Still, I'm always glad to hear him say it. And, given his own flaws, and the craziness of the contemporary left, IMO he ought to broadcast his views on that more. Of course  they'll never believe him; and even if he does say it more he'll be accused of protesting too much. But there's no satisfying those people. And better to err on the side of caution in this case, I think.
   Man. I really miss liberals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home