Friday, December 21, 2018

Exit Mattis / Trump's Freakout/Unpredictability/Irrationality

Well, there goes our last, best hope for this administration...
   I've defended Trump a lot against what seem to me like dumb / unfair / invalid / false criticisms...and my own layperson's opinion is, basically: being in Afghanistan and Syria hasn't been a notably successful strategy. So, in the absence of clear, overriding reasons for being there, let's GTFO.  Other things being equal, better No war + hope for the best than War + hope for the best...  I'd rather err on the side of no war.
   And: I have no particular reason to believe that the WaPo et al. are giving us the straight story. They basically flip their shit at every possible opportunity where Trump is involved. They simply aren't neutral arbiters anymore...
   AND: though I tend to oppose the sea-to-sea version of The Wall, I do favor more fencing...and I favor it a lot more now that progressives basically oppose every measure to decrease illegal immigration....
   However: even given all these things, this chaos from Trump is exactly what worries me most about him. He has no idea what he's doing, he's a basically chaotic, unreflective, ignorant person. He's done some good things, and if he were to err toward his tendency to just do what the GOP tells him to, he could end up doing a pretty good job. Certainly better than a helluva lot of Democrats... But this is kinda like hammering nails with dynamite or something. We just don't really know how far this guy might go. Somebody this erratic has no business within a light year of the presidency.
   I still think that Democratic administrations will reliably take us one more mile down the road to perdition...and I actually think that we're probably very, very lucky to have two new conservative justices on SCOTUS. And, no, I can't believe that I believe these things. I didn't believe them two years ago. And I might not believe them a year from now...
   But I just can't believe that this kind of erratic unpredictability can be tolerated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home