Sunday, November 04, 2018

Emma Green: "Refusing To Put Fear At The Center Of Jewish Identity"

Good.
Jews--and blacks and Muslims and Asians etc.--have to realize that they'd never be on their own in the U.S. if white supremacists or some other variety of crazies came after them...right? I mean, I vociferously defend the rights of the Klan et al. to speak and assemble...and to not get recreationally/symbolically punched by Antifa...but...that obviously doesn't mean that I wouldn't be perfectly happy to deploy violence against them should they themselves do so. I conclude this is hardly an unusual attitude. In fact, I thought this was supposed to be the standard-issue 'Merican attitude, no?
   Anyway...I suppose it's easy to say if you're not in a frequently-persecuted minority group...but I'm not concerned about some mass white-supremacist uprising. Jeez, look at the reaction to Charlottesville. A couple-hundred guys with some screws loose held one rally and the whole country freaked out about it. I mean hell, man, I abhor the Klan as much as anybody and twice as much as most...and even I thought it was an overreaction. In fact it was an overreaction--people didn't even let them hold their perfectly legal rally. (Although the tiki-torch march the night before did complicate matters...) Anyway, it's not like the country exactly took it easy on 'em.
   I just don't see a mass white-supremacist wave happening any time soon. And if it did, I see it being slapped down hard and fast. Anybody who thinks Sessions is going to take it easy on those guys is trippin. It's good to keep our eyes on 'em...but it's bad to fan the flames of fear. The panicky left and the panicky media...but I repeat myself...just act as force multipliers. Don't try to turn these guys into the Brown Shirts or the SS. That's not only false, but it plays into their hands.
   Incidentally, I do recommend spending some time on their websites--Stormfront and suchlike. You can come to understand them better, and kinda keep your finger on their pulse. (Spoiler alert: they're really, really into white stuff.) One thing you'll learn if you do that is that they're way, way, way more sad / pathetic than alarming. I go through cycles in which I make an effort to keep an eye on them, though I haven't been doing so lately. They really are a sad lot.
   Anyway: just one of the many reasons for Jews--and any other minority--to breathe a sigh of relief. If the Klan et al. did start to feel their oats, you can be really damn sure that the majority would come down upon them like the very Fist Of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home