Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Saletan on Kavanaugh 2

Some of this is terrible--way below Saletan's standards...like:
2. There’s eyewitness testimony that Kavanaugh and Judge were drunk that day. The eyewitness is Ford. ...
Wow. I'm just going to pretend that Saletan never said that. He's earned my forgetfulness by writing many fine columns in the past. Most of the rest of the piece is, characteristically, careful and reasonable. There's not much new there, but Saletan puts it all together well.
   I'm kinda trying to ignore the question of whether Kavanaugh should be confirmed...but if I weren't ignoring it...I'd be inclining against it--at least without a pretty thorough investigation. It's possible that all the stuff that's begun to emerge is misleading...but that's starting to seem pretty unlikely to me...though I can't really keep up with it all. I wasted much of this weekend, and that can't continue.
   The Swetnick accusation is nuts...but the Ramirez accusation continues to seem at least plausible to me. Ford's accusation continues to be rather a mess...but probably can't be conclusively refuted...which is all it takes, given the zeitgeist. If she coughs up her therapist's notes, that might change things--but I doubt it'll happen.
   I don't see Kavanaugh surviving this, and am somewhat inclined to think he shouldn't. A high-profile case of knuckling-under to sketchy, unsupported accusations of sexual assault is one of the last thing the country needs right now...but that's probably what we're going to get.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home