Tuesday, October 30, 2018

A President Can't End Birthright Citizenship

Vox (so...grain of salt and all that...) asked eleven legal scholars...and...it's not really more complicated than you would have thought. The answer just seems to be a straightforward no. The way people were talking I thought there was some hidden complexity...but...though there always kind of is...there's really not much in this case.
   In fact, the whole thing seems pretty nutty to me. As you know, I'm inclined to defend Trump on many points...but...I'm pretty not-happy about this one...even though I think we'd likely be better off without birthright citizenship at this point. It's in the Constitution. Want to amend it? Fine. Otherwise: nothing to see here.
   Anyway: no, you can't do it with an executive order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home