Monday, August 06, 2018

Soave: "Sarah Jeong Probably Doesn't Hate White People, But Mocking Them Is An Easy Way To Show You're Woke"

Reasonable.
   Also, kinda fits with my general line: the problem isn't so much Jeong as it is progressivism. If that's how you get progressive cred, then so much the worse for progressivism.
   Honestly, I've got a pretty laid back attitude about such things. I think, weirdly, that to err is human. I don't get mad at people for middling numbers of middling-strength screw-ups...or that's my official policy, anyway. What I take seriously is having fucked-up ideals. If, in a cool hour, Jeong is like "Nah, broseph, I don't really hate white dudes...it's just that damn there's a critical mass of them that just annoy. the. shit. out of me sometimes, in this way that beggars all the better angels of my nature that tell me not to generalize in that way." Well, we're cool, actually. That's a position I could actually respect, and wouldn't mind hearing more about, being a white dude myself, and not being particularly keen to do whatever it is that we do that is allegedly so bad.
   Again, what I think is wrong, bad, and dangerous are bad ideals. And I think progressivism has bad ideals.
   Love the sinner, hate the sin.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Also, kinda fits with my general line: the problem isn't so much Jeong as it is progressivism. If that's how you get progressive cred, then so much the worse for progressivism."

I think the easiest response is, how many whites prior to the 60s hated black people in a psychologically serious way? My guess is most were generally pretty patronizingly apathetic towards black people, and in direct interaction some were quite friendly, while others were incomprehensibly hateful (eg Emmet Till). The underlying problem was it was extremely useful to degrade blacks to reinforce standing as white people. Let that stew for a few generations and it gets quite ugly; but in the turn normal, decent, non-hateful people into those who do really terrible things and think they are actually good sort of way, not in the turn everyone into orcs pillaging villages sort of way.

Which is of course exactly what progressives are doing now, except it has only had two generations to pollute the culture and the colors are inverted.

They don't really have ideals in a meaningful sense, because they think all that has been settled (their parents marched with MLK or whatever so they have gained absolution). What is left is competition to gain favor among those already deemed good. And since they only conceptualize evil in the orcs pillaging villages sort of way (in this case racists are orcs), they'll never have the self-reflection to see what they are actually doing: slandering millions of well-meaning people, systematically disadvantaging them in credentialing institutions, etc.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home