Thursday, August 17, 2017

Will C'Ville Accelerate The Split Between Liberalism And The Radical Left?

Here's one Natasha Lennard proclaiming antifa's anti-liberalism openly.
   Seems to me there are more crazy lefties now willing to admit that they aren't liberal. 
   Anti-liberalism is central to the hard left...but in the States they seem to keep it largely on the DL. With liberals flocking to side with antifa over C'ville, it seems like an odd time to come out...but maybe e.g. Lennard figures that there's no stopping the tectonic shift of the American left away from liberalism and toward the currently-fashionable cluster of anti-liberal alternatives.
   Shit is getting bad, and no lie.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Old Gringo said...

I've been a bit skeptical of your claims about certain segments of the left, but I am becoming more concerned. On Twitter I've seen people who are very intelligent and who seem otherwise respectable openly questioning the value of the First Amendment based on a desire to shut down racist speech and assembly. The attitude was--white people have the luxury of the First Amendment but vulnerable/oppressed minorities are increasingly threatened by it. I thought it was very disturbing, even as someone who is very sympathetic to minority concerns about race and as someone whose views generally veer left on most issues.

A few nights ago some people who I usually have respect for debated on Facebook taking down statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (most seemed in favor). That is not necessarily anti-liberal, but it struck me as extreme, irrational, and a disturbing sign of where we are headed.

I think the worst of the far right is much worse right now than the worst of the far left, so I may disagree with you there, but the far left is going in a very bad direction. And my worry is that these violent confrontations between the worst elements of the far right and the far left will probably make both sides even more extreme.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, the C'ville stuff has reminded me--though I don't think I ever denied this--that the very worst of the right is more overtly dangerous than the very worst of the left.

But I fear the hard left more, because I think it's influential and basically granted immunity from criticism by liberals.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home