Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Acting Head of OCR: Parties Usually "Both Drunk" In Campus Sexual Assault Cases

[Update: the linked story has now been edited to include/emphasize that Jackson has apologized for the flippancy of her comments.]

It's so long since I heard anyone from Ed talk sense about this sort of thing that I hardly know what to do... This part strikes me, however, as extremely hyperbolic:
90 percent of cases "fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk, we broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right.'"
I doubt very seriously that 90% of cases fall into that extreme category...though many prominent cases have been worse than that, with some women claiming that a sexual encounter early in a relationship constituted rape...despite the fact that the sexual relationship continued for quite some time after that. It's not that that's impossible, of course. It's that it's too unlikely to take seriously. If it's Smith's word against Jones's, and Jones somehow didn't realize that a "rape" occurred until months after the fact, and she consented to sex with Smith many times after that, there's virtually no chance that the accusation is true.
   So, though, in different circumstances, I might be more concerned about the hyperbole, with academia in the grip of rape crisis hysteria, I'm mostly glad to see some semblance of sanity back at OCR.
   Never thought I'd hear myself say anything of the kind, but: Trump's Ed might just end up being better / saner than Obama's.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Darius Jedburgh said...

I agree; in particular, with your last sentence, which is a massive indictment of Ed under Obama. It was a horrifying indication of what can happen when activists get their hands on the levers of power. My hunch is that Obama's appointment of Lhamon was a more or less unavoidable payment of political debts incurred on the way to the presidency. The real prime mover seems to have been Valerie Jarrett.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Agreed on all points--good hypotheses.

Though: I didn't know that Jarrett was involved, though I've long been not-wild about her.
Though Obama seemed to have great confidence in Jarrett...and I had great confidence in him...and he obviously knew her very well...so...was never sure what to make of all that.

So is Lhamon history now, do you know? Wonder whether she'll be out of Ed entirely, or just demoted?

Note that the story has now been edited, and the headline aspect now concerns Jackson apologizing for her comments--or for their flippancy, anyway...which is reasonable, though still worrisome to me in the current climate.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Unfortunately, Lhamon is *in* at USCCR...as the Chair, no less:

http://www.usccr.gov/

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Darius Jedburgh said...

Obama did have great confidence in Jarrett, but I think it was largely confidence in her political instincts.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

I had the impression that a lot of it was that she was a personal friend, too--but I have no idea where I picked up that idea.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home