Sunday, June 25, 2017

Philosophy's Political Bias: When Reason Goes On Holiday

Most people probably don't care much about what a train wreck the contemporary philosophy "profession" is. But in case you do, you should know about the Philosophymetametametablog and the Philosophymeta-forum. They can certainly get a little juvenile...but...they have other virtues as well. I don't care about the professional gossip and job market stuff so much, but obviously I do care about the fact that irrational, anti-liberal leftists largely control the APA and certain other public aspects of the profession. 
   Anyway, a recent post reminded me about a book I started before the last semester got crazy, and which the tectonic action of the book pile swallowed up before I finished it...but I've now excavated it: Neven Sesardic's When Reason Goes On Holiday. I had no idea, for example, that Otto Neurath was a shill for Stalin, actually traveling to the USSR to help upgrade their propaganda machine. Things don't really get any better after that, either. It's not pretty. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I remember Smyth read, and seemed to be impressed by, "How the Cold War Transformed Philosophy of Science: To the Icy Slopes of Logic," by George Reisch.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Cold-Transformed-Philosophy-Science/dp/0521546893

-Terry-

9:32 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Thanks Rev!

I've been trying to remember the name of that damn book for years!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home