Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Hanna Rosin: Men Are Obsolete

Well, this is pretty dumb.
I think it's supposed to be funny...but it isn't really... Maybe it's kidding on the square...who knows?
You might think that these alleged developments would show that society is becoming more equal.
But of course that can't be.
What it means instead is that "men are obsolete"!!!!
I mean...if society were becoming more equal--WHICH IT TOTALLY IS NOT AND ONLY A RETROGRADE MISOGYNIST WOULD SUGGEST THAT IT IS--then it would mean that we need less feminism. WHICH WE TOTALLY DO NOT AND ONLY A RETROGRADE MISOGYNIST WOULD SUGGEST THAT WE DO.
So anyway, men are obsolete, see?
In...er...a sense of 'men' that doesn't mean, y'know, men. At all. In any way...
But I guess "society is still on roughly the same trajectory it's been on for some time toward greater sex equality" is not going to get clicks.
Also, apparently deriding men currently sells. Which, well whatever. I don't care about it...I might if I respected any of the people doing it I guess... But I do find it annoying that we're simultaneously (a) subjected to propaganda about our immense, king-like "privilege," (b) derided openly, and (c) expected to think it's all just dandy. (a) and (b)--well, say what you want. It's a free country. But don't count on (c)...
This stuff doesn't bother me except insofar as all stupid things bother me. Oh and: smug assholes. They also bother me...  Anyway, also the very act of insisting that I am obligated to sit down and shut up while people say stupid things about me pretty much guarantees that I will punch back, even if I was ignoring it all before. I think this general kind of bullshit is stupid when it's directed at women, and I think it's stupid when it's directed at men.
What did I bother writing this?
What a tragic waste of the human spirit...

2 Comments:

Blogger Dark Avenger said...

Winston, the essay seems a bit tongue-in-cheek here, taking some trends and having a little laugh about them.

I think you're taking it was too seriously.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Derp

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home