Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Silence is Sexist

Jesus, now they're just intentionally publishing stupid shit to get more hits...

 "...the expectation that one can work in pin-drop quiet feels very … male..."


This really is just off-the-scale stupid. 


And that's the main problem--that it's butt-ass stupid. It doesn't have to be counterproductive to the cause of equality to be reprehensible. Being stupid makes things reprehensible.

However...this kind of casual dumbassery involving moronic accusations of sexism IS counterproductive. Speaking for myself, the more I run into such stupidity, the more irksome I find accusations of sexism in general. I've basically come to just expect that the majority of accusations of sexism I come across will be unfounded...and that a non-trivial percentage of them will be outright nonsense.  

So look..even if you have no respect for the truth, and no contempt for stupidity...you should at least care that such crap hurts people who need to make genuine, non-idiotic claims to the effect that something is sexist... Get it?

(via /r/tumblrinaction, I think...)

2 Comments:

Blogger tehr0x0r said...

Recently when someone tells me that something is sexist or racist I have to sit down and think about it to see how it could actually be racist. Without getting into specifics I'll say that recently as a part of an orientation I was a leader on a shirt was vetoed by some higher ups because they thought that it was "racist" and some people might be offended. For the life of me I still don't know what was racist about the shirt, the only thing that I could come up with was that anything dealing with the founding fathers who owned slaves might somehow be racist. I think that sadly there are a group of people who managed to get noticed by always being offended by something being racist. These people might have been good at getting people motivated and moving but at the end of the day they aren't really deep thinkers or strong leaders, they can only get people to listen to them when there is something to get riled up about. Thus they are always looking for something to be upset about as a way to stay in the limelight.

9:02 AM  
Blogger pmm said...

"Being very male" is not an accusation of sexism. In fact, I thought the original article was a lot more idiotic as the one you link to. The distraction of sound is a lot more situational than he argues. He picks a whole lot of anecdotes. And he doesn't site even a little bit of counter-evidence.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home