Friday, July 12, 2013

Pacific Rim

When I first heard about it, I thought it was going to be awesome.

After I saw the trailer a time or two, I came to guess that it was going to suck.

Then I saw the other day that it was getting 81% on Rotten Tomatoes, and I let my hopes get all up.

Just saw it, and my initial reaction was: overall meh.

Not a single ounce of subtlety in the whole thing. Way, way, way overly sentimental/sappy (I guessed this from the trailer, actually, and it's what I most feared). After the initial fight, the thing drags on for like an hour of sap with no action. I was sighing, rolling my eyes, and feeling pretty guilty about dragging three other people to the thing. Then the next big fight finally came, and it was pretty awesome. There was a lot of good action from there on out, and that last portion of the movie (less than an hour, sadly, I'd guess) was actually pretty good.

For the record, though: tankers break apart way too easily to use them as clubs to beat on giant monsters with... And, much more importantly: nuclear reactors do not explode. That's a really goddang big sci-fi movie no-no...

Anyway... Pacific Rim gets one raptor claw down for the first half, and one claw about 75% up for the second half... 

Overall: it's ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home