Thursday, September 09, 2010

Rush Limbaugh + Koran-Burning Preacher-Man: A Cape Girardeau, MO Connection?

So, my undergraduate alma mater was Southeast Missouri State University (aka SEMO) in Cape Girardeau, MO. (Yes, yes...not exactly Princeton, but it was affordable, and, for all the "Smith" family knew, it wasn't that much inferior to...well, Princeton. Or wherever. Ah, we were a naive lot,entirely ignorant of the ways of academia. (I did have an abnormally high ACT score, just incidentally...it's not like I couldn't have gotten in anywhere else...er, had I applied anywhere else...though there was also that barely-good-enough-to-graduate-from-high-school GPA...so who knows?) And hey: SEMO did right by me. Though I was the only philosophy major in the entire school, I got into several top-tier grad programs...so I owe the institution a debt of gratitude.)

Fun fact: turns out that SEMO is also the alma mater of Rush Limbaugh...though he, apparently, failed to graduate.[1]

Anyway, my brother also matriculated at SEMO, and, for reasons that have never been clear to me, stayed in Cape. He now tells me that word on the street there is that Terry Jones, the Koran-burning lunatic preacher, graduated from Cape Girardeau HS in '69, the same year as Rush.

No confirmation on this yet...but kinda sorta interesting (and depressing) if true...



[1] Yes, I realize that one usually reserves the term 'alma mater' to refer to an institution from which one has graduated...but that's not clearly the right way to use the term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home