Thursday, November 03, 2005

Max Boot: "Plamegate's Real Liar"

Via Instapundit I find this, "Plamegate's Real Liar," on Joe Wilson by Max Boot.

I post this in full recognition that Azael and Matthew C. will blast me for not knowing that somewhere, somewhen, someone (Digby perhaps, or The Poor Man) has probably debunked these charges.

But this is one of those cases where I just haven't been able to keep track of all the baroque epicycles of evidence and counter-evidence. So what's up? Is Boot basically right or is he full of it?

Incidentally I also post it because I find the deceptive nature of the title amusing. Does it fall within the scope of any known fallacy, or is it sui generis? Little help here? (Technical Blandishmentiser this means you.)

The important point about Boot's title, of course, is that even if Wilson turns out to be a shameless liar, that would in no way entail that he is THE real liar, only A real liar. As I've said, I don't know whether Wilson is a liar re: this case, but it's becoming pretty obvious that Libby is. And my money's on Rove as well. (That's only to stick with what's known about the case at hand, narrowly construed. This administration is bursting at the seams with liars...but anybody who needs me to tell them that at this point just hasn't been paying attention.)

3 Comments:

Blogger matthew christman said...

It seems to me that, if you had a case in which a number of people lied, but one of them lied TO THE FBI AND A FEDERAL GRAND JURY, than they would probably have to be the "real" liar. I mean, doesn't lying so fucking hard you break the law give you a +1 dishonesty role, which you can use to misdirect choatic evil elf clerics?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, I've gotta agree with that, and wish I'd thought of it.

But your lying power only affects saving throws if you're GOOD at it. Not clear how good at it Libby is. Rove seems to have something like a +10 Tongue of Lying. He'll be harder to defeat.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe Wilson was right!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home