Sunday, April 17, 2005

Get Religion, Get Bizzay

Sometimes I wonder at the fact that I used to take George F. Will seriously. No kidding. He was my favorite conservative columnist back in the day. I'd eagerly read his columns, and I'd take him very seriously.

But that was before I found out that he'd helped Reagan cheat in the debates. And before he began the long slide into sophomoricism. (Hey, is that a new word???)

Today's op-ed might have been written by one of my more sophomoric sophomores. It's the end of the semester, I'm getting approximately zero hours of sleep per night, and I'm facing a towering stack of papers and exams, else I'd waste a good bit of my day putting together a careful refutation of this unmitigated piece of crap. I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but thank God for grading. This may be the only time in my life at which grading prevented me from wasting my time...

Anyway, if you want something written on this post haste, go to one of those academic blogs written by someone at Columbia or Stanford or somewhere where the profs teach a 1-2 load and have grad students to do their grading. Or Harvard. One of my colleagues who used to teach there tells me that one of the reasons Harvard students get mostly 'A's is becaues their profs and grad students don't want to waste any time grading their papers--slap an 'A' on a paper and you don't have to worry about writing comments or justifying your grade to the student. In fact, slap an 'A' on a paper and you don't even have to read it... Then you get to spend all your time on your scholarship. (And then you also get famous, if that's the kind of thing that floats your boat.) Great system. As somebody noted somewhere, in this system the teachers pretend to teach, and the students pretend to learn, and everybody is happy because they're free to do what they really want--research in the one case and drink and get laid in the other.

Oh, man, I need some sleep! Cranky Winston is trying to get out again...if he were a French superhero, he'd probably be known as Monsieur Ressentiment...

( "Monsieur Incroyable!" "Bomb Voyage!" Man, I love that movie...)

Anyway.

I might be unable to resist wasting some time on it later today, but for now, how 'bout just a:

Shorter George F. Will:

Only Christianity can enable us to complete the great task of overpopulating the planet.

Just because I can't resist, let me include my two favorite bits:

Modernity teaches that freedom is the sovereignty of the individual's will -- personal volition that is spontaneous, unconditioned, inviolable and self-legitimizing.

and


Weigel doubts it is possible to "sustain a democratic political community absent the transcendent moral reference points for ordering public life that Christianity offers the political community."

Questions left as exercises for the reader:


Isn't it cool that the moderns have all spoken with the same voice? How could I have missed that? Which ones do you think he has in mind, anyway? Do you think he intentionally expressed the "modern" view in a way that might be interpreted as being ambiguous as between (a) subjectivism and (b) Kant, or was that an accident?

And which of those "moral reference points" associated with Christianity are the indispensible ones? Do you think they're the ones that all sane moral systems--religious and non-religious--share, like the no killing part? Or the specifically Abrahamic ones like the no graven images part?

And if you had a respected national forum like the Post op-ed page, do you think you should try to write thoughtful essays that advance discussion of important issues, or would it be o.k. to crank out half-baked political crap?

Discuss.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FROM wmr:

I was struck by the explicit rhetorical parallel linking "the church preaches" and "modernity teaches". Comparing a group of organized institutions with a widespread and multifarious cultural movement is dubious at best.

What's next? A cultural elite that controls how everyone thinks? Oh, wait a minute....

Maybe the moral reference points include the Inquisition. Do you suppose Senator Frist or Rep. DeLay would have a problem with that?

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What," Weigel asks, "is happening when an entire continent, wealthier and healthier than ever before, declines to create the human future in the most elemental sense, by creating a next generation?"
Well, one hypothesis is that Europeans think that a smaller population is okay. In fact, they might like the idea of their descendents having more room. The funniest aspect of the op-ed is the comment about this being a greater drop in population than that produced by the Black Death. Maybe in terms of millions, certainly not in terms of percentage of population. "Suicide by secularism" - What a crock!
VKW

5:54 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

"His diagnosis is that Europe's deepening anemia is a consequence of living on what he considers the thin gruel of secular humanism that excludes transcendent reference points for cultural and political life."

I remember when I was a very little girl, our house caught on fire.
I'll never forget the look on my father's face as he gathered me up
in his arms and raced through the burning building out to the pavement.
I stood there shivering in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames.
And when it was all over I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a fire?"

SUNG:
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

SPOKEN:
And when I was 12 years old, my father took me to the circus, the greatest show on earth.
There were clowns and elephants and dancing bears
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads.
And as I sat there watching the marvelous spectacle
I had the feeling that something was missing.
I don't know what, but when it was over,
I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a circus?"

SUNG:
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

SPOKEN:
Then I fell in love, with the most wonderful boy in the world.
We would take long walks by the river or just sit for hours gazing into each other's eyes.
We were so very much in love.
Then one day, he went away. And I thought I'd die -- but I didn't.
And when I didn't I said to myself, "Is that all there is to love?"

SUNG:
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

SPOKEN:
I know what you must be saying to yourselves.
If that's the way she feels about it why doesn't she just end it all?
Oh, no. Not me. I'm in no hurry for that final disappointment.
For I know just as well as I'm standing here talking to you,
when that final moment comes and I'm breathing my lst breath, I'll be saying to myself,

SUNG:
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is...

12:57 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Huh?

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is from Barbara (I hate blogger)

It's funny to think of people like Weigel, whose belief system is allegedly "timeless" get bogged down in short-term trends. The population of Europe was actually pretty stable until the early to mid 1800s -- it probably increased to some extent, but it exploded as a result of farming innovation, and exploded even further as a result of increased longevity and decreased infant and maternal mortality. One could say that the current trend is an overdue adjustment back to a position of equilibrium. But then one wouldn't be able to contribute to a snarky, unfavorable commentary on Europe.

The other thing that has occurred to me is the hypothesis that the modern European welfare embodies Jesus' teachings so well that it is no longer necessary to go to church to find reinforcement. It is their life. Okay, I don't really believe that in any conclusive sense, but embedded in the welfare state are a lot of Christian ideals that us supposedly much more religious Americans can't even begin to fathom replicating here.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Whoa, Barbara...FACTS! You and your moonbat cronies in the reality-based community are always pulling those things out when the argumentative going gets tough...

10:16 AM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

The fact remains that Europe's birthrate has fallen below replacement level for the first time in history. That will not make for a less-crowded Europe, however; young immigrant workers will be needed to support the older native pensioners.

Arguments invoking Jesus in support of collectivism are on theological thin ice, and should be used parsimoniously.

There is no recorded instance where Jesus urged taking the rich's stuff away from them and awarding it to the poor.

Jesus was markedly apolitical, and urged such things to be done voluntarily.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

Mark 10:21 -- Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Luke 19:8 -- But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”

I guess tvd only buys the specially marked capitalist approved Bible. I'll make arguments parsimoniously (!!!)or not as I see fit.

Barbara

2:14 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

The significance of Zacchaeus is actually a spiritual one, as Zacchaeus being a tax collector for the Romans made him a traitor to his people. Paying back fourfold what he has cheated is according to Jewish law, not Roman, and is therefore actually the story of his personal return to righteousness.

In other words, it's not about the money.

There's seldom any point in discussing the scriptures with anyone who doesn't accept them as being true, but I disagree with their use here, so I exercised the same freedom to speak as you did, Barbara. You are certainly free to quote them all you wish, wisely or unwisely.

For those interested in such things, here's some theology on the collectivism issue.

I'm happy to discuss theology at arm's length with anyone, but it's not necessary to drag me or my beliefs into this unless I make myself an issue, which I have not.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's seldom any point in discussing the scriptures with anyone who doesn't accept them as being true...

I'm happy to discuss theology at arm's length with anyone, but it's not necessary to drag me or my beliefs into this unless I make myself an issue, which I have not.


tvd, slyly of course, makes Barbara's beliefs part of the argument. That automatically drags his beliefs into this.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

Actually, LL, I was referring to the comment about the possible composition and shortcomings of my Bible.

Nothing sly about it, although put as gingerly as possible. Frankly, I was very offended by it, but my first instinct is to de-escalate.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

Further, Barbara's remark

"The other thing that has occurred to me is the hypothesis that the modern European welfare embodies Jesus' teachings so well that it is no longer necessary to go to church to find reinforcement."

indicates a belief that the modern European welfare state can replace church, a view I find inconsistent with one who takes the Bible as true.

I will gladly withdraw the remark if I am in error. I intended no offense.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"inconsistent with one who takes the Bible seriously." Whatever you say tvd. But try to remember that the Gospel message PRECEDES ANY CHURCH STRUCTURE, and the "formality" of church organization was never a predicate of belief. The whole concept of "going to church" as the primary means of worshipping Jesus is to superimpose a social structure onto an institution that emanated from personal conviction, not formal laws. The sole purpose of any church is to embody that message, to evangelize if you will, but "wherever two or three of you are gathered in my name, there I will be." That people would so internalize the Gospel message that they actually live it through government programs does not strike me as being inconsistent with the Bible. Try reading the early Fathers of the Church, or the "Desert a City."

But that's it, I won't be responding any further.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice blog!

I want you to come join this site about free password adult friend finder

Its cool Adult Friend Finder

Click the free password adult friend finder link above and join :) see you there

1:50 AM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you like thousands of visitors to your bog daily? If so check out , advertising specialty Its really on the level.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home