Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Transgenderism as Foma

I'm pretty sure I saw this point made somewhere else recently--that's to say: it isn't my idea. But I'm not sure whether this was exactly the point or not.
   At any rate: I'd totally forgotten about Kurt Vonnegut's Bokonon, and specifically foma: "Harmless untruths intended to comfort simple souls." (e.g.: "prosperity is just around the corner," "You'll get back together.") 
   At any rate: many people seem to regard some of the central demands of transgenderism as foma. Sure, John is a man. But if he wants you to say that he's a woman, refer to him with 'she,' etc...why not? It's just foma. As the lefties used to (and maybe still do) ask: Why are you making a big deal out of words? Or my favorite: why do you care so much?
   Well, I've gone on at length for years about why such things aren't mere foma (to use the recovered term). So no need to rant about it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home